Saturday, October 17, 2009

Going Dutch (Netherlands 2009)


3 AM. I woke up, and decided to just stay awake because I was having broken sleep. I had basically surrendered. It wasn’t but a few hours after that we loaded the plane for our next layover. We were to spend about 5 hours in Amsterdam, Holland. It was a short flight to the airport in Amsterdam, and after arriving, we went looking for the way out to catch the train to the central city. Our cash was pretty low and I was sleepy as well because I was napping all the way there. We found the way out and paid 15 Euro for the both of us to take a round trip into Amsterdam. Sal and I were pretty irritable from lack of sleep, which made a strange combination for the amount of excitement we had to see a new city. When we got outside the airport, the first thing that I noticed was the cool, crisp air. We eventually got on the correct train to the city after asking a few people. With our train passes in hand, we took a few pictures on the way. A gentleman came down the cart to check our passes. We surrendered them to him only to find out that we were in the first class cart. However, there were no indications of being in first class. There were no signs that we saw, and there certainly wasn’t a first class feel to the coach. We got to wondering what the other ones looked like that were not deemed first class. Finally, we stepped off the train to a new city full of people.

On the Train to Amsterdam
There were lots of things to see. We first wanted to get ourselves to an information center of some kind to figure out where to go, and what to do first. We found a place with very little insight on what there was to do in town so, we used the restrooms there and decided to explore for ourselves. We walked to the right of the tourist center and came to a bridge. Below there were some water taxis. It was quite scenic to look across the water at the old buildings as well.

I had a few things to accomplish with what little money I had left to spend. I wanted to get a patch for my travel bag and a charm for my charm necklace. So, we wondered to all of the shops to see what was being offered in the way of souvenirs. We found many interesting places along the way. It started to rain a bit whilst we were walking around, and I had decided to eat my sandwich that I had saved on the flight in. I saved the sandwich with ease from the flight, as I was significantly more concerned with sleeping on the flight to make up for the unarguable lack of sleep from the previous night’s stay in the airport.

Among the stores, we found several sex shops with interesting and unusual items within them to purchase. We were content to see what was offered inside, from the outside window displays which were completely uncensored. We had no urge to go in and explore. There were also several coffee shops on the streets. Each one seemed to play a different Bob Marley song when you entered. You must know, if you haven’t heard, that coffee shops in Amsterdam are more known for the cannabis or marijuana that they sell than their coffee. Each door we opened was a bellow of smoke and coffee smell to follow. Sal decided that he fancied a cup of coffee, but he wanted to get one “to go”. We must have been in and out of several coffee shops to find one that even offered a take away cup. We didn’t know it at the time, but in Europe, it’s not a common thing to have coffee to go.

Shortly after we found a take away coffee for Sal, I decided that with my remaining 5 Euro, (which I wanted to save) that I would “do as the Romans do” so to speak. I went into a coffee shop and bought a tobacco blended smoke for exactly 5 Euro. Now, we set out to wander a bit more. I was nervous to light it and I didn’t even have the lighter yet. Sal suggested I ask to borrow a light from someone, which I was really nervous to do. While hunting for a lighter I noticed that along the Amsterdam streets there where many classic looking bicycles leaned against walls and rails. The streets, I recall had a lot of trash on them.

They were bricked streets made for walking and bikes. Eventually, I borrowed some money from Sal for a cheap lighter and I stopped and lit my smoke. I wasn’t sure if it was even ok to smoke it on the streets, as I didn’t see anyone else doing it. However, I walked and smoked until we stopped to simply observe the streets for a bit. We stopped across from an outdoor urinal posted on the street. We thought it quite curious that a gentleman should urinate right on the public streets. We even witnessed someone doing such. Sal had a funny idea, for which we didn’t execute, regretfully, to video him using said urinal in Amsterdam. After a while, Sal commented on my smoking.
He asked if I thought it was a very good idea for me to smoke the whole thing by myself. It was just then, as I recall, that the world slowed down like a program running in “The Matrix”. I dropped the smoke with the intent to step on it and snub it out. When I did, I saw it fall in a very slow fashion as my mind drifted to the ground’s perspective looking up at me. I saw a still smoking joint fall slowly and artistically to the ground and then get snubbed out. Sal, shortly after needed to find a restroom with the utmost urgency.

We began to hunt for a toilet on the cold, wet Amsterdam streets, when we finally came across one. Let it be noted that in Europe and much of the UK, you can’t do as you would in America and just enter a place and use the toilet. There, you must pay to rid your body of fluids. So, we found a toilet where Sal paid 75 cents Euro. He asked me whether I needed to use the Loo as well. I did. He paid for the both of us only to find out it was urinals only. That was fine for me, but it was accommodating for his particular dilemma. So, we had to once again look for another restroom.

We walked all over the place while Sal’s irritation level rose higher and higher. It’s not a very good feeling to have to use the restroom, with none to be found. I’m sure I would have been irritated too, but I must remind the reader that I was floating on cloud 9 while walking behind him. I felt out of space and time. It was my idea that finally brought us to a restroom. I mentioned that we should go back to the train station to find one. With Sal’s guidance we made it to the train station and found a toilet bearing restroom, where he paid 1 Euro to deposit. I waited outside the restroom crouched down to rest. I could hear people walking back and forth. I heard a mother and her children at the end of the platform, but my senses seemed so heightened that it felt as if they were on the end of the world and I was hearing a secret conversation that was exclusive to only those with super hearing. Sal finally reappeared from the restroom fully relieved.

We finally boarded the train and got back to the airport. On the way, we enjoyed some Dutch chocolate that Sal had picked up from the airport gift shop earlier. At our terminal we waited on our flight. We were extremely tired. We took a small nap while waiting, and before long we were being called to board. We got settled in for our long flight and I fell asleep for a bit. After waking, I decided to watch a few movies. I stayed awake for most of the flight and completed three in a half films on the plane. While watching “The Proposal”, we flew over Greenland. It was so fascinating to see the white landscape and mountains from the plane.

Greenland from the plane

We landed in Memphis, and I remember thinking that I wanted an American hamburger so bad. So, we ate at “Backyard Burgers”. It was absolutely delicious. Next stop was Oklahoma. After landing in Will Rogers Airport in Oklahoma, I called Matt (our friend) while we were being taxied. He was on his way to pick us up. Sal and I collected our bags and found Matt’s farm truck waiting for us out side. To no surprise, Matt had some ice cold “Keystone Light” for us. We drank it and were reminded that we were home, where the beer tasted close to carbonated alcoholic water.

No comments:

Post a Comment