Saturday, October 10, 2009

Contae Chorcaí Go Bragh (Ireland 2009)


We boarded the plane with much anticipation. Strangely, it was a plane that boarded at the front and the rear from the outside. It was the first time I loaded on a plane from the outside like that. We got in only to hear Irish accents from the stewardess’. We took off and heard ever instruction on the plane in accented English, and then followed by Gaelic. I thought it was the coolest thing ever. The flight was short, and we landed in Cork, Ireland. There, we met Ken who picked us up at the airport. As we rode in the back of the van, we were in awe of the beauty around every corner. There were the greenest pastures speckled with cows on them, and the roads where just like you see in the films. I was so excited to see the country. We eventually came up on Kinsale, where we stopped to take pictures.
Kinsale was a touristy kind of fishing town, that upon seeing it, we had to stop.
Shortly after, we arrived at the house where we met Rosita and Ruby. The house smelled of wonderful cooking. She made us banana stuffed chicken. It was delicious. After dinner, Rosita drove us to “The Killbrittan Inn”, where there was a turf fire going and an Irish football game was on the tele. We got our first taste of Guinness in Ireland. I promise you it is the most delicious beer you will ever taste. It was worlds better than I have tasted it anywhere else. I was feeling tipsy in no time. Sleep came shortly after our pints. To quote my journal for my final thoughts for the day, I said “I love, love, love it here!”

My first Guinness in Ireland
Day two in Ireland, I woke up later than everyone else. Sal and Dad had porridge for breakfast, and I had to settle with Corn Flakes. After prepping for the day, we were to go to Clonakilty. On the way there we stopped in Timolegue. There we got to see the Timolegue Friary. It was built in the 12th Century. We took lots of pictures there, and dad did a video.
My picture with you at Timoleague

After looking around there for a while, Ken drove us out to Clonakilty, where we saw the statue of Michael Collins. I was overtaken to think that 100 years ago, Michael Collins himself was standing there giving his speeches about Irish freedom. We saw the house that he lived in. Our next stop we won’t soon forget. 
We drove out to Drombeg Stone Circle. Drombeg was built by the Druids and the site was designed to represent the winter solstice on December 21st. I couldn’t get enough of looking at the stones while we were there. Ken and Rosita took the time to pack lunch and tea for us to eat later. While we were on our way to get our lunch, when a couple walked in to the circle. I noticed they had an American accent. I asked where they were from, and to my surprise, they said that they were from Norman, Oklahoma of all places! How strange to meet a fellow Oklahoman in the middle of a Druid circle. We talked about where we have been so far, and they told us where they had visited. After chatting with them, I was the last one to get to the sandwiches and tea. So I had to eat the cheese one. I found out that it was delicious! It was Irish aged cheddar with pesto on wheat. The tea went so well with it all. It was quite an atmosphere to be in such a place with a beautiful scenic view and drink tea by a stone circle.

Drombeg
We got back to the house after a long day. That night I met Erin, Rosita’s niece. She was a very cute Irish girl with dark hair. We changed clothes and went to Kinsale where dad had some clients to meet. Sal and I walked around Kinsale in search for a second hand store. We found none. Kinsale, we found, was more of a tourist place where you find souvenirs and pubs. Sal and I stopped into one of them for a pot of tea. We met back up later and had Fish – n – Chips on a wall outside with everyone. Rosita and Ruby went back home afterwards, and the rest of us went for Pints. We had little room for them though because our bellies where about to burst after eating the fish. We went home and went straight to bed that night.

I woke up to breakfast already being cooked. I had delicious black pudding with my eggs that morning. I showered and got ready, then, we were off to Bandon. Dad had clients that day, and we met a gentleman named Lou. Lou was an American that was successful at living in Ireland for years. Sal wanted some info from him. We joined him in a café and had some coffee while he ate. Lou seemed to know the person running the café, and I was looking around and seeing him life in Ireland with envy. He was an overwhelming spirit that seemed so helpful and motivating. We spent a lot of time discussing conspiracy theories and theology. I loved every minute of it. We went to his flat and had tea. We enjoyed a bit of tea there, and then went walking around town a bit. I tried to find tobacco for my pipe with no success. Lou was anxious to meet dad, but I had a theory of how the interaction would go based on dad’s judgmental side. We got to talk about 2012, Crystal Skulls, and other-worldly things. We met up with dad and Ken at “The Early Bird” for lunch. There, Sal and I ordered a Sheppard’s Pie. The best one I have ever had. I spoke to mom while I was there to check on things. I told her how much I loved the country. Dad had made a few comments about Lou after the meal. This wasn’t altogether surprising. Dad, Sal, and I wondered around town for a bit. We went in to St. Patrick’s Cathedral, stopped into a pub for tea (I had a Guinness), and through many shops.


Rosita came and picked us up after the day was up. On the way home Sal and I thought it would be a good idea to walk to the pub when we got there. Walked we did, for about 20 minutes back to the Killbrittain Inn. We passed stinky trash, manure, and fields of cows to get there, down a windy Irish road. Moments after getting there, we were indulging on the unmistakable, dark, creamy ale that had us in a positive emotional state immediately. Ireland was on the tele playing football, and we were knee-deep in an engaging conversation. Sal had the Idea of playing darts, so we played a few games of 301.

Playing darts like the Irish
We were working on a good pisser after only 2 pints. Sure, I was just after ordering another when we were interrupted by dad. (Record scratch) Sal was a little peeved because he had thought there was more time. I started getting ready to load up, when Rosita came to the rescue to help me finish my pint. I turned around to see that she had left only a third of the bloody thing. I finished it and went out the door. We went to eat at a place called “Fishy, Fishy” in Kinsale. I had learned that Johnny Depp was in there the year before to eat. Dad paid for dinner, and ordered himself a huge lobster that was over 150 Euros. We met a lass named Dierdre that night as well. I had crab claws and rice. We had a good dinner, walked around a bit, and then went home for bed.

Us at "Fishy Fishy"
Today was to be Cork Day. We had plans to see Cork City. It was also Ken and Rosita’s anniversary. They walked to the beach together, and Sal and I stayed at the house with dad. Once they returned, we headed out with Ken. We first went to The Blarney Castle. What a sight to behold! It was so neat. I had high hopes for the castle and they were surpassed.
Blarney Castle
There were caves under it, dungeons, and narrow stairs leading to the top for the castle. There were so many stories surrounding the castle. Once I got to the top, I found it exhilarating to see far off in the distance. I imagined what it must have been like long ago. Next, I stood in line to kiss the Blarney Stone. You have to be held, and lean back to reach it. Now I have the gift of gab. I wondered around outside the castle and took pictures and video.
Picking a shamrock

Then, we made our way to a gift store. I bought a few gifts for people. While in there, I heard the song “Galway Girl” playing overhead. I thought of Alex, because he likes that song so much. We all met up next to the souvenir shop and Sal and I enjoyed some Leek-and-potato soup, and tea. I love tea. I ordered a shot of Jameson neat while I was there too. 
Kissing the Blarney Stone

 We came home for a spell and enjoyed some tea and homemade apple pie that Rosita had made in our absence. It was outstanding!

Our next stop was Cork Central City. We stopped at the Beamish brewery and took pictures, and stopped in to a cathedral. There were a number of attractive females there walking the streets. It was a college town. It was a super busy place. We saw some stormtoopers stop and have tea on the streets at one point. Ken showed us to a huge market place where we bought some Irish cheddar and some bread for the bangers that they had cooked (Irish Sausage). We went a movie store and bought “Rat” for them to watch that evening. They had a HUGE Irish movie section there. Ken recommended a movie called “The General”. For dinner, Ken took us to a place that claims to have the best Fish – n – Chips in all of Ireland. Man, they were good. Before leaving, I picked up some Guinness to take home. We went home to watch Rat while Dad relieved stress on Rosita using his tapping process. I had a few Guinness’ by my onesy and went to bed. Ken and Rosita rather enjoyed the movie.

Morning came, as it always does, and Rosita made us salmon and eggs. We packed all up to depart that morning. We stopped at the beach. What a scene that was. We took a lot of pictures that day. I was truly missing Liam and Bridget, and my bed. However, I didn’t want to leave Ireland. I wish they were just there with me instead. Alas, we made our way to Aer Lingus and flew to Manchester Airport. Sal and I had some Boddingtons there and had to stay the night in the Airport. I put 3 pounds into a slot machine with no luck. It was an uncomfortable sleep in the airport that night. My legs were hanging off the chairs and it wasn’t a flat surface. We where sleeping under a PA speaker that announced, seemingly louder each time, “Attention, to avoid security measures, please keep luggage with you at all times.”

No comments:

Post a Comment